New upcoming releases to announce:
- Sadistic Ritual are from Atlanta (my neck of the woods, and where I live, it’s a literal woods) and play basic, balls-out death/thrash. It’s promising Southern metal for fans of Slayer, Kreator, Sepultura and the like. Following a small string of demos and EPs, their new EP “Edge of the Knife” promises to be their best and heaviest material yet. We will release it on CD this year.
- Scorched hail from Delaware and make old school death metal with a somewhat thrashy edge that reminds me of old Unleashed among others. We’ll release their debut self-titled demo on cassette.
- Last but definitely not least, something that’s been in the works a long time is a compilation of old material (the only kind that exists) by Canada’s answer to Morbid Saint and Sadus. And if you’ve never heard Deranged, they absolutely live up to that level of insane energy and riff dementia. The comp will be on CD and is coming as soon as they can put the remastered material together.
NEWS – MARCH 31, 2015
We’ve released the first preview tracks from upcoming albums by BLACK TOWER and ENCYRCLE. Click here to listen to the punkish trad metal of “Death March” by Black Tower, or click here to bask in the ferocious speed metal of “Bloodbasker” by Encyrcle. Both releases will be everywhere June 2, and up for preorder here in May.
The Besieged self-titled, 2-song EP is also at press (still) and we’re hoping to see our copies in April. In the meantime, we’ve got full-color shirts of the EP art in the shop; they’re laser-printed beauties, and just $16. Go grab one.
NEWS – FEBRUARY 20, 2015
In honor of the label’s 2nd anniversary today, all our releases and apparel are marked down 20% this weekend (excluding the new one by Unrest, sorry). Relieve me of some stuff, it’ll help me release a lot more different but equally cool stuff.
NEWS – JANUARY 14, 2015
The first preview track from Unrest’s “Grindcore” has just been uploaded. Click to check out “Anything to Shock.”
Unrest features guys who have played in TrenchRot, Woe, Crypt Sermon and Infiltrator. In other words, dudes who know what they’re doing, seemingly regardless of style or sub-genre. The CD is officially out March 24th but we’ll be pre-selling them in mid or late February.
- The shop was just upgraded to ZenCart 1.54. It seems to be fully functional in my tests but if you run into a problem, drop me a line.
- The Besieged EP is at press and we’re expecting the test press back soon, so it won’t be too much longer. Expect two songs of demented death/thrash even more extreme than “Victims Beyond All Help.”
NEWS – NOVEMBER 21, 2014
Please note: I will be out of town all next week. Actually I’ll be in Colorado, and as part of that trip will be visiting the Dark Descent Records HQ for the first time. Any orders placed in my absence will be shipped immediately upon my return, the week following Thanksgiving.
NEWS – NOVEMBER 11, 2014
Black Tower hail from Ottawa, but it might as well be Middle Earth. Or at least a Middle Earth as filtered through heavy metal. Tolkien would probably not approve, but generations raised on his books – as well as Iron Maiden and assorted black metal records – will nod their long-haired heads in appreciation.
In short, Black Tower is metal that wears its nerd credentials proudly on its sleeve. You don’t sing “Under the Lonely Mountain!” loud and proud in your opening song, or marry the sensibilities of Slough Feg to early Dissection and an almost Bad Religion-ish punk catchiness, without knowing exactly what you are. A lot goes into the mix, but as with any good recipe, what comes out has a flavor all its own.
They have only a self-titled demo under their belts so far, but members of the band have played in other outfits (most notably punk groups Crusades, The Creeps, and The Visitors). Now their debut “The Secret Fire” is nearing completion, and will be released by Unspeakable Axe in the first half of 2015. Having heard only the rough mix of the album, I can say this is easily the most melodic and outrageously catchy thing we have done to date. But it took me all of two songs to fall under its spell, and I hope that holds true for you guys when you eventually get to hear it. Just consider this the beginning of a journey – you’re Bilbo, the band and I are Gandalf and a bunch of unruly dwarves, and you’re being beckoned down a strange new road. And if that metaphor was a little too nerdy for you, best to bow out now. Otherwise, good times lie ahead.
NEWS – OCTOBER 27, 2014
Infiltrator tapes are back from press! Get this EP of sick speed metal out of Philadelphia (and featuring a member of TrenchRot) for just $5. Our October sale is still going on too, so every CD is marked down to $6.66 through Friday.
NEWS – OCTOBER 13, 2014
October is my favorite month. The temperatures drop without getting outright uncomfortable, the ground is blanketed in crisp leaves, and oh yeah… Halloween. From today through the end of the month, CDs are on sale in the web shop. Get any CD for a seasonally-appropriate $6.66. Might even throw in a mini-Snickers if you order enough stuff.
In other store news, Cemetery Filth tapes are in stock and our next tape by Philly black/speed metal band Infiltrator is due back from press soon. We’ve also got new TrenchRot shirts in stock – an original piece of art by a member of the band on white-and-black baseball jerseys. Head to the store and grab something.
NEWS – SEPTEMBER 9, 2014
Announcement: in the first quarter of 2015 we will release Four Doors To Death, a four-way split full length of death metal done right (i.e. ugly and old school). This project was dreamed up by Matt from Cemetery Filth and myself as a throwback to the early 90s splits, and after weeks of work the lineup has been nailed down at last. The album will consist of all-new EP-length contributions from Cemetery Filth, TrenchRot, Sabbatory and Ectovoid. For the time being only a CD version is planned.
The aim is for the bands to all be done recording by around the end of January, and it will go to press afterward. Stay tuned!